top of page
  • Writer's pictureKaya Maniko

The Ultimate Guide to the Job Seeker Visa / ARC Extension in Taiwan

Updated: Jan 5, 2022

This article first appeared on Kaya The Writer and is re-posted here with the author’s consent.

You might be terrified to quit. I was terrified.

"How will I stay in the country? Will there be any good teaching jobs available when I need money?"... these were common questions zipping around my thinker as I debated quitting my third teaching job in Taipei.

Luckily, whether you are moving from another ARC visa, quitting your job, completing your contract, or even if you got fired from any job with a work permit (not just teachers) you are eligible for the Job Seeker Visa or ARC Extension...

... for 12 months. One whole year.

Disclaimer: I am using the terms ARC extension and Job Seeker visa interchangeably in this article, so don't be confused - they mean the same thing.

As a Taipei resident, it's easiest for me to offer insight into the Taipei-specific offices in parts of this post. This general advice can still be used in other areas of Taiwan, so take the information that's relevant for you in your particular city.

What's Inside:

  1. Leaving Your Job

  2. Getting Your ARC Extension

  3. Staying Insured Under NHI

  4. FAQ

  5. Resources

Leaving Your Job

Depending on your situation, you might be looking to get out of your job fast. I've been there. I feel you.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of sketchy buxiban contracts out there that may be giving you anxiety about quitting. Most of them are baseless and do not fall under legal grounds for fining or penalizing you - so don't worry.

But (and there's always a "but") I have been in a situation where the company did have legal grounds for fining me if I quit early. So I'm going to share this specific story, in case it hits home for you.

The standard contract under the Labour Board (Article 16) states:

  1. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than three months but less than one year, the notice shall be given 10 days in advance.

  2. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than one year but less than three years, the notice shall be given 20 days in advance.

  3. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than three years, the notice shall be given 30 days in advance.

If you need more details about the legality of your contract, check out this page